Wednesday, January 22, 2020

B1 GROUP. PRACTICE

used to

We use used to + VERB to talk about a past situation that is no longer true. 
It tells us that there was a repeated action or state in the past which has now changed.

She used to be a long-distance runner when she was younger.
I didn't use to sleep very well, but then I started doing yoga and it really helps.
Did you use to come here as a child?

be used to -

 be used to + verb _ing, noun or pronoun

Be used to means 'be familiar with' or 'be accustomed to'.
She is used to the city now and doesn't get lost any more.
He wasn't used to walking so much and his legs hurt after the hike.
I'm a teacher so I'm used to speaking in public.

 get used to

 get  used to + verb_ing, noun or pronoun
We use get used to to talk about the process of becoming familiar with something.  

I'm finding this new job hard but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon.
I'm getting used to the noise now. I found it really stressful when I first moved in.

Be used to and get used to are followed by a noun (for example, the noise,city ), pronoun (for example: it)  or the -ing form of a verb (for example: speaking)
and can be used about the past, present or future.

Now, let's practice :)


Caroline __________________ (take) the bus, now she walks to work.
  1.   USED TO TAKE
  2.   WAS USED TO TAKING
  3.   IS USED TO TAKE
Traffic jams don't bother Tom. He ___________________ (drive) in the city.
  1.   USED TO DRIVE
  2.   IS USED TO DRIVE
  3.   IS USED TO DRIVING
The immigrants had to ___________ the customs of their new country.
  1.   used
  2.   used to
  3.   be used to
  4.   get used to
They find our food tasteless.  They ________________________ (eat) spicy food
  1.   USED TO EAT
  2.   ARE USED TO EATING
  3.   ARE USED TO EAT
Travel ________________ (be) very expensive.  Now the prices are more reasonable.
  1.   USED TO BE
  2.   IS USED TO BE
  3.   IS USED TO BEING 
During my childhood, I ________________ (spend) a lot of time with my grandparents.
  1.   AM USED TO SPEND
  2.   USED TO SPEND
  3.   USED TO SPENDING
My grandmother is often tired now. She ______________ (be) so tired.
  1.   DIDN'T USE TO BE
  2.   WASN'T USED TO BE
  3.   NOT USED TO BE
When Peter was young, he  ________________ (ride) a bicycle to school.
  1.   USED TO RIDING
  2.   WAS USED TO RIDE
  3.   USED TO RIDE
When you went to Canada in winter, did it take you long to ___________ the climate?
  1.   use
  2.   used to
  3.   be used to
  4.   get used to
Maria finds teaching difficult. She is _________________ (deal) with noisy children.
  1.   NOT USED TO DEAL
  2.   NOT USED TO DEALING
  3.   USED TO NOT DEAL
She went to a Chinese restaurant but she ___________ eating with chop sticks and had to ask the waiter for a fork.
  1.   didn't use
  2.   didn't used to
  3.   wasn't used to
  4.   didn't usually


At first it was difficult but now I ___________________ (speak) in public.
  1.   AM USED TO SPEAK
  2.   AM USED TO SPEAKING
  3.   USED TO SPEAKING


I often ___________ a credit card to pay in restaurants
  1.   use
  2.   didn't used to
  3.   am used to
  4.   usually
He ___________ goes jogging before breakfast.
  1.   use
  2.   didn't used to
  3.   is used to
  4.   usually


In the 19th century, factory workers in England ___________ work 10 or more hours a day...
  1.   used
  2.   used to
  3.   were used to
  4.   usually



Fill the gaps with  BE USED TO / GET USED TO

  1. I was born in the country; it took me a long time to --------- the noise and dirt of the town.
  2. She is shy; she-----------performing in public.
  3. If you have English guests, remember they a----------- eating as late as 8 o'clock.
  4. You may find it difficult to ----------- getting up so early.
  5. When I lived in Saigon I ----------the heat but it wasn't easy.
  6. When I was at school I ----------- wearing a uniform but I'd find it hard now.
  7. When I went to Scotland I found it difficult at first because I-------------their accent.


No comments:

Post a Comment