Saturday, December 21, 2019

B1 GROUP. PRACTICE 3


Image result for STUDY ENGLISH


GRAMMAR
1   Complete the sentences with the correct form of can, could, or be able to.
Example:     We were so hungry we couldn’t wait for dinner, so we ordered pizza.
1   I ________ swim when I was five. My dad taught me.
2   We’re very sorry but we ________ attend the wedding. We’ll be on holiday.
3   Would you like ________ play a musical instrument?
4   He opened his present before his birthday because he ________ wait!
5   After living here for four months, I ________ understand a lot of Greek now.
6   ________ you lend me a pen, please? I’ve forgotten mine.
7   I’ve never ________ sing well, but my brother has a beautiful voice.
8   I ________ read this menu without my glasses. Can you read it to me, please?
9   We’re free tonight, so we’ll ________ come and help you if you like.
10   My sister ________ ride a horse since she was four!



2   Complete the sentences with have to, don’t have to, must, mustn’t, should, or shouldn’t.
Example:     We’ll have to leave early tomorrow morning.
1   I always ________ stand up on the train because there are no seats.
2   You really ________ eat in class, but I’ll let you do it this time.
3   Where do you think we ________ stay in London? In a hotel or a B&B?
4   There’s a lot of rubbish in that lake. You ________ swim in it!
5   You ________ pay to get into that museum – it’s free.
6   We ________ leave early in the morning if we want to get home before dark.
7   It’s a great film. You really ________ go and see it.
8   Great! It’s a holiday tomorrow – we ________ go to work.
9   You ________ drive on the right in Europe (except in the UK).
10   Do we ________ get up early tomorrow?




2   Complete the email with a, an, the, or – (no article).
Dear Paula,
We’re having a wonderful time here in Rome. We arrived yesterday afternoon so we had time to find 1________ nice little hotel and relax after 2_______ journey. 3________ hotel is in 4________ city centre, but it’s not too noisy.
We woke up early this morning because 5________ sun was shining in through the window. We had 6________ quick breakfast (great coffee!) and then went out to explore 7________ city.
Later, we’re meeting Kathy’s friend Pietro, who’s 8________ economics student at university here. He’s going to take us to 9________ best pizzeria in Rome (at least he says it is!). I think 10________ Italian cities are all wonderful, but I can’t believe what 11_______ fabulous city Rome is!
We’ll be back home 12________ next Friday. See you soon!
Love,
Julie




   
1   Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of the verb in brackets.


Example:     He was watching (watch) a film on TV when I arrived.
1   Jim and I ________ (study) at Bath University when we ________ (meet).
2   You’re lucky I’m still at home. I ________ (get) ready to go out when you phoned.
3   Usain Bolt ________ (win) the 100m in record time.
4   I ________ (already / finish) cooking when Gill offered to help.
5   As soon as I arrived, we ________ (order) our food.
6   Chelsea ________ (win) 2–0 at half time, but they lost the match 3–2.
7   They were tired when they arrived. They ________ (not sleep) for 24 hours.
8   He ________ (just / score) before the referee blew the final whistle.
9   I ________ (think) about her at 9.00 and then she ________ (ring) me!
10   Last week my boss ________ (say) he would give me a pay rise.



VOCABULARY


1   Write the people and places.
Example:     The most important member of the team.  captain
1   The place where a big football match is played.  ________
2   The person who makes the players follow the rules.  ________
3   The place where you ski on a mountain.  ________
4   The people who support a team or player.  ________
5   The person who helps the players train.  ________
6   The thing on which racing cars go round.  ________


2  Complete the sentences with the correct preposition.
Example:     Are you listening to me?
1   Is there anything that you’re really afraid ________?
2   I’m fed up ________ my job. I need a change.
3   Try not to laugh ________ Bill when he speaks French – his accent is terrible!
4   It can take ages to get to the city centre – it depends ______ the traffic.
5   This restaurant reminds me ________ the one we went to in Paris.
6   He used to be married ________ my youngest sister.
7   Jenna is arriving ________ Cambridge on Saturday evening.



WRITING

A foreign exchange student is coming to stay. Write an email to welcome him / her and send some information about where you live. (140–180 words)
Begin the email with this introduction:
I’m really looking forward to seeing you. Let me tell you about my town.


•    How big is it?
•    What is interesting about it?
•    What do you like best about it?
•    What is the transport system like?

No comments:

Post a Comment